Are you struggling with a smile that isn’t quite as straight as you’d like it to be? Do you have worn, chipped, cracked or otherwise damaged teeth? Are you suffering from tooth loss? If so, this article is for you! As one of the best dental clinic in Sydney CBD, we’re known as the ones to trust when it comes to improving your smile.
Crowns and bridges are common cosmetic dental treatments we use to protect vulnerable teeth and enhance the appearance of smiles.
An Introduction to Crowns and Bridges
A crown serves as a cap for your tooth, completely encircling it to protect it and restore its appearance. A dental crown is custom-designed for your tooth and colour matched to blend in with your natural surrounding teeth. Thanks to modern dentistry, nobody will know a crown isn’t your own tooth! Crowns are a great option for improving your smile. They can cover up chips, cracks, wear and other cosmetic issues. They can also be used to close small gaps between your teeth.
If you have a missing tooth, a bridge may be the perfect solution for improving your smile and stabilising your surrounding teeth. A bridge is similar to a crown but involves the addition of a prosthetic tooth to fill the gap. The teeth on either side of your gap will have a crown placed on them, supporting the prosthetic unit in between them.
Improving Your Smile With A Crown
If during a consultation with one of our dentists it is determined that a crown is the most suitable treatment option for you, the next steps usually look something like this:
- Your dentist will prepare your tooth for the crown by making minor adjustments to its size by filing it down.
- Once your tooth is prepared, your dentist will take an impression of your tooth for the creation of your crown.
- Your porcelain crown is made especially to fit your tooth.
- Your dentist will place your crown and ensure a perfect fit before cementing it into place and polishing it for a smooth finish.
Improving Your Smile With a Bridge
If during a consultation with one of our dentists it is determined that a bridge is the most suitable treatment option for you, the next steps usually look something like this:
- Your dentist will prepare your teeth on either side of your gap for their crowns by making minor adjustments to their size by filing them down.
- Once your teeth are prepared, your dentist will take an impression of your teeth for the creation of your bridge.
- Whilst your bridge is being made, your dentist will fit you with a temporary bridge to protect your teeth.
- Once your permanent bridge is ready, your dentist will replace your temporary one, ensuring a perfect fit before cementing it into place and polishing it for a smooth finish.
It’s important to note that the process for getting a bridge depends on your case. For example, how many teeth you have missing and where in your mouth your bridge will be located.
Caring For Crowns and Bridges
If you’re investing in improving your smile, you must be invested in taking care of it too! Crowns and bridges that are taken good care of tend to last much longer. As for caring for them, they require the same care as your natural teeth do. So, that makes it easy.
Twice-daily brushing is essential for keeping your crown or bridge clean. The same goes for daily flossing. Whilst your crown or bridge can’t decay, your teeth underneath or around them can and your gums are still susceptible to gum disease.
Regular and ongoing dental-check ups are important for your oral health, but also the longevity of your crown or bridge. Your dentist can identify any potential problems with a crown or bridge whilst it is still repairable. This can save you from needing a replacement.
Improving Your Smile at Dental on York
At our Sydney CBD dental practice, we believe everybody should have a smile they feel proud of. We have helped many patients achieve a smile they love through our range of cosmetic dentistry services. Our team of dental professionals take the time to get to know you and understand the concerns you may have with your smile. Treatment recommendations are based 100% on you, your needs, lifestyle and budget.
Why wait? Improving your smile has never been easier. Contact us to see how we can help you.